Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thank you

So I was at Lucky (formerly Albertson's) yesterday shopping. I was in the checkout line which as usual had some very rude customers in it that were taking forever. So to pass time, I was smiling and talking to Chloe. When I finally got to the checker, he asked how I was doing, and I replied with an "I'm doing great how about you?" with a smile like I always do. He proceeded to ring me up but kept looking at me with a look of somewhat amazement and curiosity. Nothing really all that odd to me since whenever I go anywhere with Chloe people seem to look like that at her. And so I proceeded to smile and make faces at Chloe. When He handed me my receipt, he said "Thank you for smiling. You are the first person who has done that today. It is nice to see it once in a while." I was shocked. Was this area of town really that grumpy or did he just start his shift? I responded with "Well I know how your job is, I worked at Albertson's in Washington and I know how grumpy customers can be and I will never be one of those! So you're welcome. And I hope you have a great rest of your day." I smiled to him and he smiled back and I left the store. When I left, he looked just a little happier than when I first met him.


It is amazing the little things that you do every day that can effect someone else so much.

2 comments:

Mandapanda said...

Oh man, that is SO true. Working retail, or just serving drinks at some event or something...it can be amazing how few people say thank you or smile. It seems like cashiers/bank tellers/restaurant staff etc. are seen more as a means to an end than as people just like us working at their job just like we do.

I am a firm believer that everyone should at least have some experience working retail or customer service - it gives you a super important perspective. I also think that the summers I worked deep cleaning college dorms (which sometimes were hard to breathe in, let alone TOUCH the disgusting remnants of their school year growing in the bottom of the desk drawer) gave me a really important perspective. I don't think everyone needs to scrub dorms, but privileged people need to work in jobs that make them swallow a big dose of humility. I consider privileged people to be anyone who has the luxury of other people doing some of their dirty work for them - that includes a lot of us, huh? That's my two cents...or maybe seven.

Tracy said...

I second Manda's comment. I think we all get going so fast these days that common courtesy just misses some (or most) people.

Ha- for us stay at home moms its like "WOW a PERSON..." - I always find myself having to tone down the niceties so I don't scare people off =)

Love you sis.