Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dinner at the neighbors

We decided that we needed to get to know our neighbors better, so we invited ourselves to their house for dinner Sunday night. They are such wonderful people. They have 2 kids, daughter Brianna who is 1 1/2 years old and a 3 year old boy named Brandon. They have a ton of energy!

Ok let me go back to the beginning of our "relationship" with them so we don't seem so strange as to just invite ourselves over.

They moved into the neighborhood in July from South L.A., we moved in to our home in August. They have 2 kids, we have one. Brett and my dad have had a few conversations with them while they were here moving us in during the summer. A few weeks ago, The mom came over and borrowed our VCR so her kids could watch a movie that they rented, theirs was broken. On Dec 18Th, the day before we left for Washington, she returned the VCR and along with it gave us some grapefruit as a thank you and a Christmas card. We were invited to go over to their house for some tea, but I had to pack and Brett was going to go out and celebrate the end of the first semester of school with some friends so we had to politely decline the offer. She then told us that if we ever needed a babysitter, that she would love to watch Chloe for us. Well with Brett going out with friends that I haven't met yet, I asked if she wouldn't mind watching Chloe for like 2 hours that night. She was thrilled! So yes, we are horrible parents I will say this now. We went out with the friends, had a great time, and when I went to pick up my baby she was still there, sleeping in their daughter's crib, and apparently she did really well. WHEW!!!

So we have had them watch our kid once, let them borrow our VCR and have canceled on them 2 times for tea or dinner in the past because of other things going on. So I decided that we needed to get together with them and have dinner. Since they have 2 little ones who get into everything, and our house is so not baby proofed, I asked if we could bring dinner to them if they would supply the house.

Ok back to Sunday. So I brought over salmon, rice, garlic bread, a green salad and a Cesar salad for dinner and strawberry cheesecake for desert. Thanks to Costco, I didn't have that much to do. I guess when Brett had originally set up the dinner date she mentioned that she would make a salad and do desert as well, but didn't mention it to me because we showed up with our stuff, and they had theirs out on the table already. Oh well...more food for us to eat.

We got over there about 6pm and we were not planning on staying too late, because they worked, Brett had school, and we had never actually hung out for more than oh lets say 30 minutes. But we brought games with us on the off chance we needed something to do. We brought over rummikub and settlers of catan. They were excited to play Settlers of Catan because they heard it was a great game, oh and it is! So with dinner and the game and desert, we left their house at 11:30pm. It was a long night, but we had a really good time. We really need to set up more date nights with them.

Oh and I was informed by Brandon the 3 year old "I LOVE CHLOE!!!" Yes he yelled that to me while the was walking over to her. I think he wanted to keep her. What a cute kid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've found friends in your neighborhood - makes it a much nicer place to live, and comes in quite helpful when you need just one egg, a cup of sugar...or a VCR! And, what fun it will be to go walking together once the weather gets nicer. Yea!Love you all.