Monday, December 3, 2007

Needing to vent a little

So I love my apartment. It has wonderful and interesting features to it. It is an old 1910 Victorian home that has been restored to it's mostly original beauty. When I get around to cleaning it, I will take some pictures for you to look at.

Josh, the owner/landlord/remodel-er has done an amazing job with this remodel. However, he needs a little more help.

1) when we moved in, there was NO storage in the bathroom. Well unless you can call the tiny medicine cabinet storage. We have a pedestal sink, a claw foot tub (the other apartments have very nice tiled walk in showers and vanities), and a toilet in a little alcove if you will. So me being a girl and having STUFF, we added storage to the bathroom. We are even nice enough to leave it for the next lucky group of people to move in.
2)The kitchen has 1 count it 1 light in the middle of the room. It is a beautifully restored light fixture apparently original to the house. But it has a 75 watt bulb in it. At night it is like doing the dishes by candle light. So with my parents help, we added 3 lights for under the cabinets. Such a difference!
3)In the living room there is a very nice gas fireplace. Great you are thinking. All I have to do is turn on a switch and !voila! you have instant heat. Well in the remodeling of the place, he took out the flu (Sp?) to install the neat insert. Well that is fine and dandy in the summer time. BUT in the winter time when it gets down to the 30's at night, it isn't so cool to be heating the outdoors and not your home. Money right out the window, or in this case...the fireplace. So for now it has aluminum foil taped up all around it. My place is now warmer.
4)Original windows to the place. Wonderful 1910 single pane windows that let heat out as fast as it can be made. I asked Josh if we could "winterize them" meaning put up plastic for the winter. But instead he bought us another heater. Thanks, I get to spend more money heating the outside even more. Thanks. Oh and who needs T.V. when you have the world around you? We can hear all of the wonderful going-ons outside. Let me tell you it can make for some good entertainment. oh and the fire department is at the other end of the block. I am so glad that Chloe is a deep sleeper.
5)this brings me to the heater. We now have 2 of them. Very nice, they do keep the place nice and warm. Oh did I mention the face that we have 2 portable room heaters? Oh well the people downstairs have central heating. it was apparently easier and more efficient to give it to them. ???

So that is what I have been somewhat complaining about for the last few weeks. OK not that bad compared to other people's living conditions (Tracy).

Tonight, after our shopping trip, we were headed inside when I noticed that our neighbor upstairs (we have 3, 1 upstairs and 2 downstairs)had her lights on in the front 2 rooms. Interestingly enough I see that she has a ceiling fan in EACH ROOM!!!!! Yeah we have ZERO. Right now that is not such a big deal, but in the summer time it will be. We have ONE fan that we brought down ourselves. Oh how I can't wait for the summer to get here. Oh and did I mention that with the central heating system that the downstairs apartments have, they also come with central air conditioning? NICE JOSH!

Oh and to top it all off...WE PAY THE MOST RENT! I love it. Maybe in the summer Josh will get us a fan to use.

But I can't complain too much. We do have one of those mini dishwashers that no one else has. And I do love having it. And we do have 1300 sq ft to live in and it seems like a home rather than an apartment. So it is really nice, except for the comfort levels compared to the neighbors.

Another fun factoid...all of our neighbors have dogs. Now don't get me wrong I love dogs, but they all let the dogs go to the bathroom in the little backyard that we have and some don't clean up after their animals. So we have to "clean" or bleach our shoes ever so often when Brett accidentally happens upon one of the dog's wonderful gifts. We have an infant in the house that I really don't want to be exposed to all of the bacteria that would be running around our apartment.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. But I really do like living here. And I will post pictures soon.

No comments: