Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Prostitution park gets a make over!

In our neighborhood there is a park, not a great park, but a park. We have never gone there because that is where the drug dealers and prostitutes hang out. Oh and about a month or so ago, they found a guy murdered there. Yeah yeah, I know..."Kristina never leave your house!" I have been told that many times, but I have just learned to look out for people. And it really wasn't THAT bad of a neighborhood. As long as you looked the other way, "those people" would leave you alone. They were just at their job, working. They never once bothered us.


Well the neighborhood wanted to take the park back and make it a place for them and their families to hang out at. While I was in Iowa visiting family, the community got together and built a wonderful park. There were so many who volunteered their time, wisdom and tools to get it done.


Oh what a difference the park made. Now the park is filled, and I mean filled with families, not prostitutes and drug dealers. Kids are out there from morning until dark playing. Families are out with their bar-b-ques and picnic blankets. Kids are playing soccer, baseball and Frisbee. We have never seen this much activity there. NEVER! I am kind of sad that we are leaving it soon, but glad to see that there is a sense of community now.


2 comments:

Mom J said...

I was always so sad to see this piece of land not being used as intended. The transformation created by the locals is amazing. They took an unfriendly, ugly block and made a wonderful place for kids and families to play. I'm so glad I got to see the kids enjoying it!

Unknown said...

Nice post, impressive. It’s quite different from other posts. Thanks for sharing.
buy marijuana seeds