Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fraud!

As a way to protect Brett and my credit card accounts, I have set up an automatic alert that whenever we spend more than $100, the credit card company calls my cell phone and lets me know that a transaction has exceeded the approved amount. Well they called me the other day and I thought it was kind of odd. I didn't remember going shopping recently, or Brett coming home with lots of stuff. So today with my downtime, I went online to look at the recent activity on my credit card. Low and behold, it looked like Brett and I purchased 2 tickets on Southwest airlines for $239.50 each. Now I know Brett and I are traveling soon, but he is flying with American and I am flying with Northwest. So this peaked my interest. I called the credit card company and they told me all they could pull up from that purchase was that it was bought for Dallas. Now Brett is going to Dallas Texas for a school thing. So I told the nice people on the phone that I will call the airline company to see what that was about.

When I called Southwest, they were able to look up the tickets with my credit card number, and they asked me if I knew a Lamar and Jonathan. Too bad I don't know who they are. But I bet they were planning a great trip, at least I hope it was to a nice place, maybe Hawaii, Florida, or maybe it was to see their sick and dying parents. Who knows. All I know is now they won't be taking the trip.

I called the credit card company back and we have now disputed the charges and canceled the account. They were really nice about it. So now we get to be one of those people with that on our report. YAY!

We don't know how they got the information needed to purchase the tickets, we both have our cards still. So we feel really violated. The only thing we can think of is they got a hold of those convenience checks that they mail out. Everything else is done on the Internet for us with the company. So if you are getting those in the mail, you can call the credit card company and have them stop sending them out. I would say do it today as soon as you are done reading this!

This is such a hassle and I don't want anyone else to have to go through this.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh my gosh Kris! How scary! Good for you for following up on all of it though! I am definitely going to do some attention-paying to my accounts today! Ick!

Krissy said...

I would suggest paying closer attention for more than just today! :)

Anonymous said...

ugh that sucks im sorry! my parents had 5000 bucks in credit card fraud back in 2001 before the 9/11 thing. it was for a bunch of computer equipment. they are really paranoid to use credit cards on the net though. im glad you were able to get it all taken care of though!